Client testimonials can make or break a website or a business.
They are a vital factor in establishing a relationship of trust with new visitors to your site. Visitors want to see that others just like them have hired you or purchased your products and have successfully overcome some hurdles or issues. Better yet, when the testimonials specifically note how the client's life or business has been enhanced by buying your product or service, the visitor then begins to believe that it will help her overcome a similar issue, as well.
Several years ago, I updated one of my sites. I continued to get phone calls from potential clients who wanted to hire me, but the calls were much different than I had gotten previously. The difference was that I spent the duration of the phone call in sales mode to convince them to hire me, which is something I hate to do. I'd never had to do that before. Typically when someone would call me, they were already sold on the concept of hiring me and just wanted to know when we could get started.
I racked my brain to try and figure out what in the world was going on and what had changed with these prospects. Suddenly it hit me that in the update of my site, my client testimonials had gotten lost in the process and weren't on the new site. This gave me the motivation I needed to get additional testimonials from satisfied clients and determine how to best display those testimonials for maximum impact. Once I added those to my new site, things returned to normal, and those rave reviews did all of my selling for me.
So, now you know that testimonials can serve as an important sales tool on your website. How do you go about getting testimonials that say something more compelling than, "Jane is great to work with," which is useless for all practical purposes.
1. What factors made you choose my business to assist you with <fill in outcome desired by your client here>?
2. What were your preconceived notions about using <my type of business, service, or product>. For example, "What were your perceptions about working with an accountant before we started?"
3. How has that perception changed since you hired me/bought my product?
4. What do you like most about working with me/using the product?
5. Did you expect it would work as well as it did?
6. Did you have any objections/hesitations before you decide to hire us/buy the product? If so, what were they? How did we overcome your hesitation and objections?
7. What are the three biggest benefits of working with us/using the product? OR How has your life changed/things changed since you began using our service/product? Please be as specific as possible (i.e. we increased sales by 25% in 3 months; I lost 15 pounds in 20 days; I doubled my income last year).
You may also want to ask this as a before/after question, i.e. "How are things different now after hiring us than they were before you hired us?"
8. If you were to recommend me to a colleague, friend, or business associate, how would you describe the way I provided my service to you (or, the way I helped you achieve a certain result)?
9. Is there anything else you'd like to add that I haven't yet asked about?
10. Can I share this information in our marketing materials? I use and can highly recommend Endorsal to get client testimonials and reviews. What I love about Endorsal is that you can send a special link to your clients/customers and they can preview their review/testimonial before sending it, and they can also publish it on your Facebook Page and your Google My Business page. Endorsal gives you a great deal of leeway in choosing how to publish your reviews/testimonials on your website, as well.
Now that you have these client testimonials, how do you use them to your best advantage? Include them in your content and your social media. Here's a great article you can use on how to include them in your content, 9 Strategies for Using Customer Testimonials in Your Content.
If you don't have any client testimonials on your site, it's not too late to go out and solicit a few. Use some or all of the questions noted above to increase the trust visitors have in your services and products and increase your sales dramatically!
Now that you know the questions to ask for a review, how are you showing off your great reviews? Great reviews are worth their weight in gold to help you encourage prospects to buy from you and recommend you to their friends. I've got an opportunity for you to showcase your positive reviews on your social media. Want to know how? Just click here for all the details.
I help seasoned small business owners create marketing ideas and strategies that raise their visibility, broaden their reach, and grow their revenues.
As a business owner with 24 years of experience, I am the cure for you if you have run out of marketing creativity. I have a unique ability to sense or see the underlying scheme of things, whether it's like a blueprint to build something or an x-ray that shows hidden connections, and connect the dots at a deeper level. I make it really Easy. Enjoyable. Effective. Just like your marketing will be.